Monday, October 28, 2013

Sharp-shinned Hawk


http://www.pinterest.com/pin/132363676521127807


















 I was walking at dusk by the Chinese statuary and birdbath sales yard near Kelley Park Zoo. I figured it was a bit dark to bird anymore and I wasn't likely to see anything "special" out in front of a 7-11 on a busy intersection. I wasn't paying any particular attention, but some swift motion, or it could have been a powerful presence, up to my left drew my eye. I looked up and there perched on a billboard was a Sharp-shinned Hawk taking a look on the birdbath and street scene below. I find the element of surprise keeps birdwatching new and exciting. Sometimes I surprise the bird and other times I am the one caught by surprise. Sharp-shinned Hawks are small birds of prey and they hunt passerines (perching birds) on the wing. They  also eat small mammals, an occasional reptile or amphibian, as well as large insects such as dragonflies. The "Sharpie" I saw was poised forward, his eyes fixed on the tree canopies for his end of day catch. He had handsome colors like the one here pictured with the rusty and white speckled breast and slate back. They have a reputation for taking food to-go from backyard birdfeeders, but wouldn't you? Hard to pass the buffet table without taking a nibble or two of the offerings...A bustling birdfeeder must be the Sharped shinned Hawk's idea of a QuickieMart stop.


howardsview.com (immature Sharp-shinned)
                                                                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment